A campaign is on by film makers from the Northeast and others intimately familiar with the film making enterprise in the region to have the works of the late Irom Maipak, a cinematographer of repute, showcased in MIFF 2022.
Among those advocating and championing the cause for the late cinematographer are Joshy Joseph, Haobam Paban and Ronel Haobam.
Maipak, these campaigners have written to important officials of MIFF, is an outstanding cinematographer bonded strongy with the Northeast, Manipur in particular.
They urged the MIFF organisers that honouring Maipak will not only be about giving an honest and brilliant filmmaker and human being the dues he deserves, but also would amount to adding value to MIFF 2022.
Maipak, they point out is the only cinematographer from Manipur to receive the Rajat Kamal (National Award) till date and only the second from the entire Northeast after (Late) Mrinal Kanti Das of Assam, to bag the honour.
Maipak passed away during the 2nd wave of the Pandemic due to Covid.
It maybe recalled the softspoken cinematographer expired of post-COVID complications while still hospitalized at the Raj Medicity on May 20, 2021.
His official resume blow is self-explanatory why his friends respect him and want the MIFF honour for him.
(Late) Shri IROM MAIPAK
Born on February 03,1969
Expired on May 20, 2021
Sagolband Salam Leikai, Imphal West – 795001
Irom Maipak had worked for more than thirty years as Cinematographer in Films and Television.
He learnt the art of Cinematography/filmmaking from Fullbright Scholar Ernest Gusella and Tomiyo Sasaki from United States and filmmaker Aribam Syam Sharma. Having worked with some of the acclaimed filmmakers of Manipur, he had also worked as Cameraperson for Asian News International (ANI), a premiere TV news agency based in New Delhi (India) for more than three years from 1996 onwards. He has associated with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) as Cameraperson in its featured programs. He had also attended international film festivals besides engaging with various workshops on cinema. He was awarded National Film Award (Rajat Kamal) in Cinematography in 2002.He is also the Founder President of the All Manipur Cinematographers Association.
- Maibi Award for Best Cinematography in the 13th Manipur State Film Festival 2020
in the Feature film category for the film Nongphadok Lakpa Atithi.
- Maibi Award for Best Cinematography in the 12th Manipur State Film Festival 2019
in the Feature film category for the film Meitan Araba.
- Maibi Award for Best Cinematography in the 12th Manipur State Film Festival 2019
in the Non-Feature film category for the film Raas Leela.
- SSS Manifa for Best Cinematography in the 8th Sahitya Seva Samiti Film Award 2019 in the Feature film category for the film Meitan Araba.
- Maibi Award for Best Cinematography in the 9th Manipur State Film Festival 2014 in the Non-Feature film category for the film Phum Shang.
- Navroze Contractor Award for the Best Documentary Cinematography in the 8th International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala 2015 for the film Phum
- Maibi Award for the Best Cinematography in the 7th Manipur State Film Festival 2010 in the Non-Feature film category for the film Mr India.
- Rajat Kamal Award for Best Cinematography in the 49th National Film Awards 2002 in the Non-Feature film category for the film The Monpas of Arunachal Pradesh.
- NETV People’s Choice Award 2005, Guwahati for the Best Cinematography.
- Best Videographer Award in the All Manipur Video Film Festival, 1993 for the feature film Kinepna Pach
Professional Achievements as Cinematographer
- The film Raas Leela directed by Aribam Syam Sharma was awarded the Best Non-feature film at the 12th Manipur State Film Festival 2019.
- The film Meitan Araba directed by Lukananda Kshetrimayum was awarded the Best feature film at the 8th Sahitya Seva Samity Film Award 2019.
- The film Ima Sabitri directed by Bobo Khuraijam was awarded Best Documentary Film Silver Conch Award 15th Mumbai International Film Festival 2018. Best Documentary Film Satyajit Ray Golden Award Kolkata 2018. Best Documentary Film 4th International Festival of Shimla 2018. Best Documentary Non-Feature Film at the 10th State Film Award 2016. It was the opening film of the Indian Panorama, 47th International Film Festival, Goa 2017. The film was in the official selection of Film Southasia 2017, Kathmandu.
- The film Phum Shang (Floating Life) directed by Haobam Paban Kumar was awarded Golden Conch – Best Documentary for 14th Mumbai International Film Festival 2016. Best Investigative Film at the 62th National Film Awards 2015. It also won Best Long Documentary of the 8rd International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala 2015. Indian Panorama for Phum Shang, 46th International Film Festival of India, Goa 2015. Best Documentary for Phum Shang, 21st Kolkata International Film Festival 2015. Cinema of Resistance Award for Phum Shang, 9th SIGNS Film Festival Kerala 2015. First Bala Kailasam Memorial Award, Chennai 2015 to HAOBAM PABAN KUMAR for his documentary film: Phum Shang.
- The film Lambisigee Wari directed by Ronel Haobam was awarded the Best Non-feature film (Short film) at the 8th Manipur State Film Festival 2014.
- The film Leibaklei directed by Aribam Syam Sharma was awarded Best Manipuri Feature Film at the 60th National Film Award 2012.Screene at the 18th Kolkata International Film Festival2012.Opening film of the 5th Guwahati International Film Festival 2012.Screened at the 14th Jeonju International Film Festival South Korea 2013.
- The film Manipuri Pony directed by Aribam Syam Sharma was awarded Best Exploration/Adventure Film at the 60th National Film Award 2012. Screened at the Indian Panorama section of International Film Festival of India 2013.
- The film Nupishabi (Women Impersonator) directed by Paban Haobam was presented in the FILM APPRECIATION course at N.F.A.I. Pune 2011.
- The film Roshni directed by Bobby Wahengbam was selected for Mumbai International Film Festival -2010. It won Manipur State Award for Best Film on social issue, 2010.
- The film The Zaliangrongs directed by Ronel Haobam was awarded for Special Mention Category (Non-Feature Section) at National Film Award-2010..
- The film Mr India directed by Haobam Paban Kumar was awarded the Silver Lotus for the Best film on Social Issues at the 57th National Film Awards 2010. It also won a Jury Mention at the 3rd International Documentary and Short Film Festival of Kerala 2011 and was also screened in the Indian Panorama section of the 41st International Film Festival of India 2010 Goa and Best Non Feature film Award for MR. INDIA, 7th Manipur State Film Award 2010.
- The film The Theatre Incarnation – directed by Oken Amakcham won Special Jury Award at 7th Manipur State Film Festival 2010.
- The film Ratan Thiyam, The Man of the Theatre directed by Oken Amakcham was screened at Indian Panorama, 2008
- The film The Stories Retold directed by Ronel Haobam Awarded Special Mention Award in the International Film Festival for Tribal Art & Culture (IFFTAC-2008), Indore (M.P.)
- The film Nongpok Thongakpashinggi Wari – directed by Ronel Haobam was selected for Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF- 2008), National Competition section
- The film Joseph’s Son directed by Bobby Wahengbam was selected for Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) 2008, 6th Kathmandu International Mountain Film Festival 2008 and 3rd VIGYOR International Film Festival 2008.
- The film Loktak – the dying lake of Manipur directed by Aribam Syam Sharma was screened at the Water festival at Banglore, 2007.Screened at many Environment film Festivals.
- The film Rajarshri Bhagyachandra of Manipur directed by Aribam Syam Sharma was screened at Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF- 2007)
- The film Manipur directed by Aribam Syam Sharma was screened at MIACC Film Festival New York 2009.
- The film Guru Laimayum Thambalngoubi Devi directed by Aribam Syam Sharma won the best Biographyical/Historical Reconstruction/Compilation film award at the 53rd National Film Awards, 2006. . Screened at the Indian Panorama section of International Film Festival of India 2006.
- The feature film Cheina directed by Oken Amakcham was awarded the Best Feature Film, Best Screenplay & Best Director Award at the 5th Manipur Film Awards 2006, Imphal.
- The film The Monpas of Arunachal Pradesh directed by Aribam Syam Sharma won the best anthropological/ethnographic film award at the 49th National Film Awards 2002.
- The film Threads of Life directed by B. M. Sunzu Sharma participated at the 7th Mumbai International Film Festival 2002. The film Kangla directed by Haobam Paban Kumar won the award for the Best Programme in Social Sciences at the 14th UGC-CEC Educational Awards, 2001.