Manipur Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren on November 9 launched the Permanent Housing Scheme for the displaced persons whose houses had been burnt down and damaged during the recent violence, at a solemn programme held at the Chief Minister’s Secretariat.
The Chief Minister also handed over the financial assistance for construction of permanent houses to some selected beneficiaries from Imphal East, Kakching and Bishnupur District under the scheme.
An amount of Rs 10 lakhs, Rs 7 lakhs and Rs 5 lakhs, for construction of damaged or burned down pucca houses, semi-pucca and kutcha houses respectively, will be provided to more than 4800 beneficiaries across the state.
The financial assistance will be provided in two installments. Beneficiaries can apply for 2nd installment amount through the concerned Deputy Commissioners by submitting the photographs of ongoing construction using the first installment amount.
Speaking on the occasion, Biren Singh stated that the government had spent an amount of Rs. 399.82 crores for providing different types of relief assistance to persons and families who were affected by the violence which broke out from May 3 this year.
He informed that out of the said amount, Rs 11 crore had been for setting up Manipur IT Centre for Exam, Rs 4.5 crore for providing television sets for various relief camps, Rs 150 crore in construction of prefabricated houses, Rs 101 crore in relief camps management for six months and Rs 89.22 crore for providing nutrition and winter preparedness, including breakfast for children in relief camps.
He continued that the state government had already provided financial assistance of Rs 1,000 each to people staying at relief camps for the 2nd round. Labour card holders staying in relief camps had also been provided with Rs 5,000 each as assistance for education of their children, he added. He informed that the government has taken up the process for providing beds for the displaced people, as the winter season has arrived.
The chief minister further informed that an amount Rs 476 crore had also been proposed to the central government various other relief measures including Rs 6 crore for 2nd round of monetary assistance of Rs 1,000 each to people staying at relief camps, Rs 360 crore for Permanent Housing Scheme, Rs 108 crore as second installment for relief camps management and another Rs 2.5 crore for buying cycles for girls staying at relief camps, reports added.
Bandh Paralyses Valley Districts
The statewide bandh called from 4am of November 10 till 1pm of Nover ber 11 by JAC Against the Missing of N Anthony and M Avinash has paralysed Imphal city and affected other districts as well. However, no unwanted incidents were reported.
After the two students went missing on Sunday, November 5 in the Kanglatongbi area, no traces have been made yet. However, it is reported that combined search operations have been conducted in many suspected areas.
Demanding to find out the whereabouts of the two missing students, the JAC formed in connection with the incident had earlier called a nine hour state-wide bandh on Friday. However, the bandh was extended for another 24 hours until 1 pm on November 11.
According to JAC member M Sunilkumar, the bandh was extended due to the government’s failure to trace the whereabouts of the duo, despite apprehending two of the involved culprits.
Koutruk Village Attacked
Kuki militants launched a continued attack at Koutruk Ching Leikai in Imphal West bordering Kangpokpi district by firing more than 30 bombs and bullets, during the onslaught which started from November 7 around 3 pm and lasted till 4 pm on November 8.
The attack paused during the night and resumed in the morning on November 8. Security forces also retaliated to the attacks by firing three 51mm bombs and two of the bombs landed on the bunker of the Kuki militants, as per sources. The 2nd, 3rd and 7th IRB are posted in Koutruk and a CRPF post is also in the area, reports said.
The Kuki militants paused their firing for a while when the two bombs landed into their bunker, before resuming the firing with several rounds of bullets. It is believed that there were several casualties among the Kuki militants, sources said.
Additional SP (Law and Order) Imphal West, DSP Lamshang, OC Lamshang and IG CRPF Group Langjing DIG Ak Premjit rushed to the area on receiving information about the attacks launched by Kuki militants. No casualties were reported among the state forces and the village volunteers, reports added.
Internet Restored in Four District HQs
The Manipur government on November 10 informed the High Court of Manipur that it has operationalised 41 mobile towers and unbarred mobile data in the districts of Senapati, Ukhrul, Tamenglong and Noney.
A division bench of the Manipur High Court led by Chief Justice Shiddarth Mridul had directed the State government to operationalise mobile towers, on a trial basis, in all district headquarters which have not been affected by ethnic strife. The direction came after the Manipur government extended the mobile internet ban in the state till November 8.
The High Court of Manipur was further informed that the state Director General of Police has not objected to further extending internet services in the district headquarters of Chandel, Jiribam and Kamjong.
Further, the State government report submitted before the HC states that operationalisation of mobile towers in areas not affected – in partially affected districts – is underway, and will be operationalised immediately upon overcoming the technical difficulties obtained due to paucity of time.
Barring a few days in September, mobile internet has remained banned in Manipur since May 3 when ethnic clashes broke out.
The All Naga Students Association Manipur (ANSAM) had been making the demand for
NESO Protests Govt Failure to Bring Normalcy in Manipur
The North East Students’ Organisation (NESO), expressing grave concern over the present prevailing situation in Manipur which has crossed almost six months staged a North-East wide Protest in the state capitals of the Northeast on November 9.
As part of the North East states wide agitation called by the North East Students Organisation (NESO) as a condemnation against the Central government for their failure to resolve the Manipur violence to date, the All Manipur Students Union (AMSU) staged a sit-in protest on November 9 at Keishampat Leimajam Leikai under the Imphal West district.
During the protest, protestors held play-card that read Government of India (GOI)- Your inaction shows your attitude towards the North East, The North East resent the failure of Government of India (GOI), Stop playing Politics over human lives, We demand permanent Peace in Manipur etc.
Addressing to media at the sidelines of the protest, advisor of NESO, Sinam Prakash said Prime Minister Narendra Modi not uttering a single word in connection with the violence of Manipur is very unfortunate and highly condemnable. The ongoing crisis has severely affected the state by displacing thousands of population and losing many precious lives.
Simlilar Sit-in-Protests were staged by the constituent student bodies of NESO in the state capitals of the North East.
NESO comprises AASU, KSU, Garo Students Union, All Arunachal Pradesh Students’ Union, Naga Students Federation, All Manipur Students’ Union, Mizo Zirlai Pawl and Twipra Students’ Federation.
Moreh Ops Continue, KNA Cadre Among Two Arrested
A combined team of security forces has arrested two persons, including one active cadre of the Kuki National Army (KNA), who was found away from his designated SoO camp, while conducting search operations at four villages in Tengnoupal district at 1 pm on November 8.
The search operations was launched by a combined team of Special CDO, Moreh CDO, Thoubal CDO, kakching CDO, 5th IRB, 5 th AR, 181 BSF, 156 BSF and 192 BSF stationed at Moreh at JH Vajang village, Haolemkhopi village, S.T. Moullenphai village and Yangoupokpi village, reports said.
Around 3 pm, as the team started searching the hill terrain and river bank at Yangoupokpi village, two persons in a very suspicious manner were detained and verified. One revealed himself as a self-styled active lance corporal of KNA posted at Moreh under one self-styled Lt. Lunmang Haikip aka Mamang. He identified himself as Seikholun Vaiphei, 35, son of Thangpao Vaiphei of Zion Veng Tuinom Part IV, Moreh.
He further disclosed that he joined KNA in October 2004 under army no. 1483 of 22nd batch trained at Minou, Moreh near AR camp. One aadhar card, driving licence, PMJAY card, one Realme handset with one Airtel and one Myanmarese sim card and one Jupiter scooter without regd No, red in colour was recovered from his possession.
The second person identified himself as one Lupho Otminlal Hangmi, 19, son of Letngam Lupho Hangmi of Yangoupokpi village, Moreh. A One Plus Android mobile handset with one Airtel and a Myanmarese sim card were recovered from his possession. They were apprehended at 4.30 pm from the river bank beside the hill terrain of Yangoupokpi Village and handed over to Moreh Police Station for further legal action, reports added.
NPO and SDSA Condemns Attempt to Frame Nagas
The Senapati District Women Association (SDWA) on November 7 condemned the act of unknown miscreants who “dropped the cellphones” of the two missing meetei youths, namely Avinash Maibam, and Ningthoujam Anthony in Senapati district headquarters.
The SDWA, in a release, decried the incident and alleged that it was an attempt to create hatred and mistrust in the district headquarters. It warned to refrain from “dragging the Nagas into ongoing ethnic conflict.”
It also urged the state government and law enforcing agencies to immediately tackle the issue and clear the air of confusion created by the same. It further appealed to the authorities concerned to keep a strong vigilance in the district.
In another statement, Rikhumai Taphou village comprising of its Village Authority Council (RTVAC), the Rikhumai Taphou Youth and Students’ Organisation (RTYSO) and the Rikhumai Taphou Women’s Society (RTWS) also vehemently condemned the unfortunate act of “dropping of phones” of the two missing teens near the petrol pump under Rikhumai Taphou’s jurisdiction.
Meanwhile, the Mao Taphou Village Authority Council, in a separate release also condemned the act of placing the youths in its jurisdiction on Monday. “Such an act is solely intended to create disharmony and disturb the peaceful environment of the village,” it said. It warned that the Mao Taphou Village Authority Council, Mao Taphou Women Society and Mao Taphou Youth and Students’ Organization will not remain mute to such acts and activities.
Moreover, the Naga Peoples’ Organisation (NPO) Tahamzam, Senapati and the Senapati District Students Association (SDSA), while expressing deep concern over the mysterious disappearance of two Meitei boys on Sunday, have condemned the act of placing the mobile phones of the two missing boys near a petrol pump in Senapati.
The Naga Peoples’ Organisation (NPO) Tahamzam, Senapati is extremely annoyed by the dastardly act of some miscreants who intentionally dropped the cell phones of the two missing Meitei youths Anvish Maibam, 16, and Ningthoujam Anthony, 19, at Senapati District HQ, the organisation stated in a release.
This deceitful act is intended to drag the Nagas and flare up misunderstandings between different communities, the NPO said, adding that the Nagas of Senapati have been constantly nurturing neutrality, but unscrupulous miscreants tend to scapegoat those not involved.
This diabolic ploy to mislead the public is out rightly condemned by the NPO, Senapati, and shall not leave any stones unturned to find out the culprit and befitting punishment be mated out, the organisation stated.
Meanwhile, the Senapati District Students Association (SDSA), while expressing its deep concern over the mysterious disappearance of two Meitei boys, said it is disconcerting to know that the mobile phones of the missing boys were found placed near a petrol pump in Senapati. This has created a high sense of mistrust and misunderstanding between different communities, it said.
Students Demand ‘Safe Release’ Of Two Teenagers
After two teenagers, including a student of Don Bosco High School, Langjing, went missing on Sunday under suspicious circumstances students of the school staged a sit-in protest in front of the school on November 7, demanding safe release of the two teenagers who are feared abducted.
The two teenagers, namely Avinash Maibam aka Khaba, 16, son of Maibam Hemanta and Ningthoujam Anthony aka Temba, 19, son of late Ningthoujam Sunder both from Akham Awang Leikai under Lamshang Police Station went on a two wheeler (Jawa motorcycle) bearing registration number MN01AN-3387 to take part in a ceremony at Koubru temple in Sekmai before they went missing.
Avinash Maibam is a student of class X at Don Bosco High School, Langjang, Imphal West. Demanding the safe release of Avinash and his companion Anthony, students of Don Bosco High School, Langjing staged a sit-in protest in front of the school.
The students demonstrated with placards that read ‘Stop Kidnapping of Students’, ‘Save The Life of Innocent People’, ‘Release Avinash Maibam and Anthony’ among others.
The mobile phones of the two missing teenagers were found near a petrol pump, as per sources. One of the mobile phones was switched off and the other was in silent mode. The phones were found just 2-3 kms from Taphou Kuki, reports said.
Governor Anusuiya Uikey Assures Parents of Missing Youths
Manipur Governor Anusuiya Uikey on Monday, November 6 assured the parents and family members of the missing youths from Akham Awang Leikai in Imphal West that she will extend all possible help in tracing the missing boys.
On Monday, Lamshang Assembly Constituency MLA Sorokhaibam Rajen along with the parents and family members of the missing youths from Akham Awang Leikai, Imphal West, Lamsang AC called on the Governor at the Raj Bhavan and apprised the circumstances leading to the disappearance of the two youths on Sunday. The team also submitted a memorandum to the Governor, the Raj Bhavan stated in a release.
During the interaction with the parents, the Governor inquired about the incident in detail from the visiting team. Uikey also spoke to DGP, Manipur Rajiv Singh over the phone and she was informed that combined search operations by security forces are going on in the suspected locations, the Raj Bhavan said.
She expressed her anguish over the incident and assured the parents that she will extend all possible help in tracing the missing boys. She urged the parents to stay positive and have hope that the boys will return back safely.
Manipur’s Bags 83 Medals At Goa National Games
With the curtain of the 37th National Games, Goa coming down in the most festive mood to meet again in the month of October-November next year in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand for the 38th Edition, celebrations of the coastal state bid adieu to the visiting teams in the most befitting style.
The Manipur contingent, which competed in 25 out of the 44 disciplines, will have fond memories to cherish.
Manipur bags Gold medals, 22 Silver medal and 31 Bronze medals by the Manipur sportspersons at Goa can be mentioned as a major achievement although the inclusion of some disciplines gave an added advantage to some states.