Five Accused In The Case Of Parading Women In Naked Arrested
As many as five accused have been arrested in the case of the viral video where two women were seen paraded naked and sexually assaulted by a violent mob in violence-hit Manipur, and the government has assured full support for capital punishment of the culprits.
Terming the act against the two women in the viral video as “crime against humanity” and condemning the horrifying crime in the strongest term on behalf of all the legislatures, Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren said that the state government would not remain silent on the heinous crime.
Speaking to the media on July 20 evening at his office premises, Biren said that as per the FIR registered, the incident occurred on May 4 during the initial period of the ongoing crisis. He said that immediately after seeing the video, he had directed the Cyber Crime Department to check its authenticity and instructed to conduct a mass combing operation at the suspected areas to nab the culprits.
He continued that an FIR was filed at Saikul Police Station regarding the matter on May 18 and later transferred to Nongpok Sekmai Police Station on June 21. As there were many cases filed on different incidents that happened in the state and while the government was trying to identify the particular case, the video on the incident suddenly surfaced, he added.
After the FIR was registered, investigation began in order to find out the authenticity of the case. As the viral video was encountered, the state police started taking immediate action and booked two accused in connection with the crime, the CM said. He said one suspected main accused was arrested on July 19 and another was arrested on July 20 after a mass combing operation in the Nongpok Sekmai area where the crime occurred.
Later in the evening, a release from the Manipur Police Control Room informed that a total of four suspects have been arrested so far in connection with the case.
One more accused in the case of a viral video showing two women being paraded naked by a large violent mob was arrested on July 21 and the four arrested on previous days were presented before the Judicial Magistrate First Class, Thoubal on July 21 via a video conferencing and have been remanded in police custody for 11 days (till July 31), sources said.
Mob Burns House of Accused in Viral Video
A mob of Meira Paibis on July 20 burnt down the house of the main accused in the viral video of two women being paraded naked that has sent shockwaves across the globe even as the Thoubal district Police arrested two accused involved in the inhuman act till the time.
The main accused is 34-year-old Huirem Herodas, son of late Rajen of Yairipok Vishnu Naha Keisham leikai.
Sources said he grew up in his maternal house in Pechi Awang Leikai under the jurisdiction of Yairipok Police station and he is a married man. He was arrested on July 20 from Pechi by Thoubal Police at around 8 am.
Another accused, Yumlembam Jeevan, who recorded the viral video has also been arrested by the police on the same day from his residence in Nongpok Sekmai.
It may be mentioned that the incident happened in B Phainom Kuki village under the jurisdiction of Nongpok Sekmai Police station on May 4, 2023. The police station has been on the case after a case of abduction, gangrape and murder have been registered.
People of Pechi village held a mass meeting at Pechi Youth development club ground condemning the inhuman incident. The meeting also resolved to cast out Herodas including his family from Pechi Awang Leikai for involvement in such heinous crime against women, reports said.
Manipur Congress Condemns Viral Video Incident of Two Women
The Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) on July 20 strongly condemned the inhumane and heinous act of parrading two women by a violent mob in Manipur as seen in a video that went viral in social media.
Holding the BJP-led government responsible for failure to address the Manipur crisis in a timely manner, the MPCC said the untimely control of violence has brought shame not only to Manipur but also to the entire nation and the world.
Addressing the media at the Congress Bhawan in Imphal, MPCC vice-president Loitongbam Tilotama expressed deep sadness over the heinous crime committed against the two victims of violence in Manipur. Such a reprehensible act compromises the dignity of women and tarnishes the image of Manipur society, which is known for honouring women, she added.
Further, she said the crime was reported to the police on May 18, more than 70 days ago, but no action was taken until recently when the video went viral just before the Parliament sitting. Raising concerns about the delayed response, Tilotama questioned the agenda behind the government’s inaction.
Manipur Naga MLAs Call For Ending Unrest, Condemn Humiliating Parade Of Women
The Naga Legislators Forum (NLF) convened by Minister of Water Resources Department and Relief & Disasters Management Department, Awangbow Newmai has called on the people of Manipur to join hands in putting an end to the persistent unrest in the state. The NLF represents the 10 Naga MLAs in the state.
Speaking to the media in Imphal on July 20, Awangbow pointed out that the current situation is affecting all sections of Manipur, irrespective of their economic status, and it is vital for the people within the state to find a collective solution. Drawing parallels to the ending of the First and Second World Wars through peaceful dialogue in table talks, he emphasised that violence and killings would never bring about a solution.
All the Nagas, including the NLF and the CSOs, are tirelessly working at their levels for the restoration of peace, he said, urging every individual living in Manipur to come together and contribute to rebuilding peace through constructive discussions. “There is no problem which does not have a solution. Every issue can be solved through discussion,” he added.
In response to a shocking viral video that showed two women being paraded naked by a mob, the NLF expressed strongest condemnation against such a heinous crime. “The crime is beyond human imagination. We have witnessed something we never thought we would see in our lifetime. We must ensure that such atrocities never happen again to anyone in the future,” the minister added.
Urging all parties to come to the table for peaceful dialogue and finding a lasting resolution to the ongoing crisis in Manipur, Awangbow stressed, “The solution to any problem lies in discussion and understanding.”
AMKIL Condemns the Incident of Two Women
The Apunba Manipur Kanba Ima Lup (AMKIL) expressed strong condemnation of the incident of two women who were seen paraded naked and sexually assaulted by a violent mob in a shocking video surfaced on July 19 in violence-hit Manipur after over two months of the incident and went viral on the internet.
Recalling the infamous Manorama case, AMKIL said mothers will not tolerate such ill-treatment and inhuman acts against women.
Speaking to the media at Manipur Press Club on July 20, the President of AMKIL Lourembam Nganbi said that during war, women and children should not be touched.
Nganbi further warned not to forget mothers’ stand in the Manorama case. Mothers will not bother while giving capital punishment to those culprits, she added.
Nupi Samaj Slams Prime Minister Narendra Modi
All Manipur Women’s Social Reformation and Development Samaj popularly known as Nupi Samaj in Imphal on July 21 lashed out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi for failing to address the prevailing crisis in Manipur which has been affecting people of all communities in the state for nearly three months.
“He felt sympathy for the two women but where is his sympathy for the suffering in the entire state,” Nupi Samaj asked.
Speaking to the media in Imphal, Nupi Samaj president Thokchom Ramani strongly condemned the unwarranted act against the two women and demanded authorities to mete out befitting punishment to the culprits involved.
She also reminded the Prime Minister that several other women, children and people had been suffering in the entire state for nearly three months and questioned why Modi failed to acknowledge their plight.
The two women are not the entire picture of the crisis; several cases of inhumane crimes committed during the crisis still remain unaccounted, she added.
As such she questioned if the Prime Minister felt sympathy for any of these crimes and asked if his concern for Manipur was over now.
She alleged the government of carrying out biased security measures and painting the Meitei community in a bad narrative to malign the community’s image.
“Gunfights are still taking place in periphery areas; at this juncture, the Prime Minister should not forget that ‘karma’ would come to bite their biased measures in the end,” she said.
A public convention held at Khwairamband Bazar, Imphal, on July 21 calls for a united struggle against the “Immigrant Chin-Kuki Narco-Terrorist Aggressors”. The public convention named “Ireibakkidamak Katthokhraba Athoubasingda Ekaikhumanba Amadi Meeyamgi Meefam” was organised by the Coordinating Committee on Manipur Integrity (COCOMI) at Khwairamband Keithel, Imphal.
The convention also discussed measures to restore normalcy in Manipur and safeguard its integrity and passed 12 resolutions aimed at addressing the challenges posed by the ongoing crisis.
In an effort to achieve these goals and safeguard Manipur’s interests, the convention urged the state government to conduct a special Assembly session to address the concerns and seek support from the Central government.
The convention also paid homage to the 48 martyrs who sacrificed their lives in the fight for the motherland, the press release added.
Quit Notice To Meiteis In Mizoram
The Peace Accord MNF Returnees’ Association (PAMRA), a former militant group of Mizoram, has urged the Meitei people staying in Mizoram to flee from the state as it is not safe for them.
PAMRA is formed by former militants of Mizo National Front (MNF) who fought for an independent Mizoram (Land of Mizos) of the then Lushai Hills district of Assam. Later The MNF gave up their weapons after the Peace Accord was signed in 1986 and Mizoram attaind Indian Statehood.
In a release issued on July 21, C Lalthenlova, General Secretary of PAMRA General Headquarters, said that the treatment of the Zo-ethnic group by the Meiteis in Manipur was excessive, hurtful and intolerable for the Mizo people. PAMRA also stated that the actions of the Meiteis have now reached a global audience.
In the light of such actions, the Meitei people residing in Mizoram should leave the state as soon as possible for their own safety, reports quoting PAMRA said. If they fail to do so, it will be their fault if something unpleasant occurs to them, PAMRA added.
The statement allegedly came following the viral video of two women being paraded naked in Manipur’s Kangpokpi district, a move that has sent shockwaves across the globe.
Meanwhile, anticipating a possible development of tension which could threaten the securities of Meiteis living in Aizawl, security arrangement has been made in order to ensure safety of Meiteis in Aizawl. The DIG of Mizoram Police (northern Frontier) has issued an order in this regard on July 21.
PM Modi Breaks Silence, But On A Different Node
After more than two months of unabated violence in Manipur that has led to loss of 148 lives, 60,000 peoples displaced, hundreds of villages and thousands of houses burned, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on July 20 finally broke his silence on Manipur crisis, but on a different node.
The ‘disturbing’ video of two women being paraded naked by a violent mob in Kangpokpi district gone viral just one day ahead of the beginning of the Monsoon Session of Parliament has moved the Prime Minister Narendra Modi to break his silence on Manipur.
“The Manipur incident is shameful… My heart is full of pain and anger.” Modi said, while speaking during the pre-session at Parliament House. The monsoon session began July 20 and will continue till August 11.
Assuring the nation that the law will take its course, Modi said the guilty will not be spared.
“I assure the nation, no guilty will be spared. The law will take its course with all its might. What has happened to daughters of Manipur can never be forgiven,” Modi said.
The viral video has drawn condemnation from across the country and all corners of the world, especially the Opposition party at the Centre that has, for long, been condemning the prime minister for his silence on the unprecedented violence in Manipur.
However, Prime Minister Narendra Modi didn’t say even a word on the core of the current crisis which continues till date claiming more than 100 innocent lives, uprooting hundreds of villages, displacing about 60,000 people and burning down thousands of houses.
Manipur Governor Anusuiya Uikey Calls for Action
Manipur Governor Anusuiya Uikey has strongly condemned the incident of two women who were paraded naked by a violent mob in Kangpokpi district, the video footage of which went viral on social media while the internet is shutdown in the State, and directed the State Director General of Police, Rajiv Singh, to take immediate action against the crime.
The Governor met the Director General of Police at Raj Bhavan in Imphal on July 20 and enquired about the incident and the progress of the investigation of the case, a release from Raj Bhavan said.
According to the release, while condemning the incident the Governor directed the DGP for taking immediate steps to bring the perpetrators of the heinous crime to book and award exemplary punishment as per law. She also asked the DGP for giving special protection to the victims.
ILP Mandatory For All ‘Non-Indigenous Inhabitants’
A notification from deputy commissioner of Kohima, Shanavas C, has informed all concerned that the Inner Line Permit (ILP) is mandatory for all “non-indigenous inhabitants” who are required to apply for the ILP, Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation (BEFR) 1873. This regulation has been in force in the Naga Hills (present Nagaland) since 1873, the notification issued on July 20 stated.
The notification then stated that the BEFR 1873 requires anyone who is not an “indigenous inhabitant of Nagaland” to obtain an Inner Line Permit (ILP) in a form and with conditions prescribed by the Government of Nagaland to enter the state for a limited period.
The notice further directed all concerned to comply, and failure to do so shall result in stringent action.