Detergent powder is a very essential item at every household. It is generally used for washing clothes which requires throughout the year. Laundry detergent or washing powder is a type of detergent (cleaning agent) that is added for laundry, commonly mixture of chemical compounds including alkyl benzenesulfonates, which are similar to soap but are less affected by hard water.
While detergent is still sold in powered form, liquid detergents have been taking major market shares in many countries since their introduction. Every household spends some money to buy it from the market. Why not we try making good quality powder detergents ourselves and enjoy our own homemade products. It involves simply mixing of different ingredients in the right formula.
INGREDIENTS USED FOR MAKING 5KG WASHING POWDER :
- Washing Soda/ Soda ash =2.5kg
- Acid Slurry (Sulphonic acid)= 500 grams
- SLES Liquid (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) =200ml
- TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) =500grams
- STPP (Sodium Tri Poly Phosphate) =500 grams
- CMC (Carboxymethyl Cellulose) =100 grams
- Tinopal = 100 grams
- G-Salt (Global Salt-Sodium Sulphate/Salt of G Acid) =1kg
- Fragrance/ Rose scent/ Perfume = 50ml
- Coloured Granules
- Hand gloves
- Face mask not to inhale the ingredients
- Shower cap to cover hair
- A plastic tub
- A wooden stick
Do not make the preparation near naked flames or fire. Avoid direct contact of chemicals with the skin or eyes. Keep out of reach of children. Do not taste any chemical.
STEPS OF PREPARATION :
- Firstly, take the plastic container or tub and pour the 2.5kg of washing soda to it.
- Add 500grams of Acid slurry and mix thoroughly for about 4-5min with a wooden stick.
- Then add the 200ml of SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) liquid to it and mix with the wooden stick properly.
- Then add 500grams of well grinded TPS (Tri Sodium Phosphate) powder to it and mix the ingredients well.
- If the TPS powder contains big lumps it have to be grinded well first and mix to the process or else we can directly add to the mixture.
- Now we can use our hands covered with gloves directly into the mixture to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- There we will feel a sensation of hotness while mixing the ingredients.
- Then again add 500grams of STPP (Sodium Tri Poly Phosphate) to it and mix the ingredients again.
- Then we can add 100grams of CMC (Carboxymethyl Cellulose) and mix again.
- Next, add the 100grams of Tinopal to the mixture and mix well.
- This ingredient will provide brightness to the clothes and act as whitening agent.
- Then put 1kg of Global Salt to the mixture and repeat the process to mix well.
- Add 5ml or few drops of fragrance or scent of your choice and repeat the mixing process.
- Next, we can add 1 teaspoon of colour and mix well which is not compulsory but one’s choices.
- Finally, put the colour granules to mixture and mix well.
Now after this 15-20 minutes process we will get our high quality homemade detergent powder at home which is ready to use. We can store this powder detergent in an air tight container for later use. Now enjoy using our own homemade quality detergent powder and feel the taste.
News Anchor at ISCOM, and a degree holder in mass communication from the Department of Mass Communication, Manipur University